Rhithron Associates, Inc. has been providing aquatic invertebrate and algal analysis for over 26 years. Our taxonomy teams are the most accomplished in North America.
Rhithron is highly qualified: our invertebrate taxonomists hold 23 SFS Level II taxonomy certifications. Our phycologists are PhD and Master’s level scientists with over 60 years of combined work in algal taxonomy and systematics.
We are equipped with state-of-the art optical and photographic equipment and sample processing devices. We offer the highest quality diatom preparations, using acid microwave digestion processing.
Dedicated to earning our clients' trust
We are large enough to carry out exacting quality assurance protocols and to offer fast turnaround, and yet small enough to regard each client and each project with the most responsive attention.
Rhithron Associates, Inc. specializes in quality-assured processing and taxonomy for freshwater invertebrates, periphyton, phytoplankton, zooplankton, and fish.
Our expertise includes the fauna and flora of streams, rivers, wetlands, and lakes of all ecological regions of North America.
We provide data, data analysis and interpretation to aid our client’s understanding of the biological condition of freshwater aquatic resources.
Rhithron’s services include:
• Aquatic macroinvertebrate taxonomy.
• Freshwater periphyton taxonomy, including diatoms and non-diatom algae. Biovolume and density estimates.
• Freshwater phytoplankton taxonomy. Biovolume and density estimates.
• Freshwater zooplankton taxonomy. Biovolume and density estimates.
• Statistical and ecological data analysis and reporting.
• Development of bioassessment tools.
• Biomass measurements, including morphometry-based analysis with regressions and ash free dry mass (AFDM).
• Chlorophyll-a analysis.
• Fish diet analysis. Ash-free dry mass and biomass and caloric content calculations.